Authentic Gecko is a place for people to share their stories and ideas for leading a happier, more authentic life. It’s a platform for people who are willing to be vulnerable and share part of their life’s journey to inspire others.
Anyone can contribute a post as long as it hasn’t been published anywhere else. This site is not reserved for professional writers or experts, it’s meant for anyone with a story that they think other people will enjoy and learn from.
If you have a great story to tell, but don’t think you’re a great writer, let me know, and maybe we can work together to get your story told here.
Why Write for Authentic Gecko
Someday I want to tell you about the great exposure you’ll get from publishing on Authentic Gecko, but that’s not true yet. In the mean time I can offer you:
- A platform to share your thoughts with like-minded people and maybe inspire someone.
- Every post includes your by-line and your bio at the end. These can link back to your site, and promote your work. I can’t guarantee much traffic from this yet, but I’m working on it.
- Include one quote within your post.
- Share a personal story connected to the idea you are presenting in your post. People connect with what you are writing about when you open up and show how you grew and learned something.
- Offer a practical tip or piece of information that your readers can easily use in their lives. This might a single idea, a thought to ponder, or a short list of tips. In the end your post should be about helping people live more authentically and find more happiness and joy in their lives.
- Be different. Many posts will cover similar ideas, but make sure you share your story and your take on how to handle and improve something.
- Be original. Original means your post hasn’t been, and won’t be published anywhere else. Please don’t submit an excerpt from an upcoming e-book (but feel free to promote your e-book in your bio).
- Promotional posts won’t be published. No affiliate links or blatantly self-promotional links are allowed in the body of the post. You can link to other sites, including your own, if it makes sense for the story you are telling. Be aware I may remove these links if I don’t feel they add to your story. Please reserve your self-promotion for your bio. Your post should be all about helping others.
- The content of your post MUST NOT infringes on copyright laws. This includes both text or images.
You can write about anything that fits with Authentic Gecko’s core belief that we all want to be happy and that the best way to do that is to be our authentic selves. So write about anything that brings joy or happiness to your life and that you think might inspire others. Possible topic areas are:
- Reducing stress
- Improving a relationship
- Motivating yourself
- Personal spirituality (any faith or non-faith based spirituality as long as your post isn’t “preachy”)
- Productivity improvements to free up time
If your idea helps make you happy, it’ll probably do the same for someone else.
- Send your post as a Microsoft Word, RTF or TXT document attached to your email
- Keep paragraphs short
- Include subheadings to help people scan your post and understand what it is all about
- Use bullets for lists
- Ideally, keep your post between 500-1,500 words.
Submitting your post
- Email your post to heather @ authenticgecko.com
- Only send one post at a time
- Include an image that illustrates your post
- This image MUST have commercial usage rights, and include a photo credit. If you found the image on the internet, please include a link to its original location (where the usage rights are stated). If you don’t know how to find photos that allow for commercial reuse, let me know and I’ll help you find one
- Include your bio (along with the links you want included) at the end of the post
- Include a small picture of yourself to display with your bio
- I may edit your post including your title for grammar, phrasing, brevity, search engine optimization (if you don’t know what that means, don’t worry about it) etc. but will be VERY careful to keep the integrity of your ideas and your voice
- If I feel you have a good idea but that it needs more work, I will email you back with some suggestions and suggest you update and re-submit your post
- It may be a week or more before you hear from me, but I will respond
- I will let you know when your post will be published
- I will promote your post the same way I promote my own
If you have any questions contact me at heather @ authenticgecko.com